Play is replenishing and exuberating! All babies and children should be encouraged to participate in regular active play every day.Regular active play helps kids to develop a lifelong habit of daily exercise and life skills of communication and social skills, an understanding of social rules, friendships, a sense of ‘give and take’, patience and perseverance, an understanding of others, teamwork and a sense of belonging.Play can be equated to learning. There are many Developmental benefits of play. These include the following.
- Abstract thinking
- Social cognition, empathy, perspective-taking
- Mastering new concepts
- Anxiety reduction
- Therapeutic effects
- Conflict resolution
- Leadership skill development (control of impulses and aggressive behavior)
- Gross motor experiences
- Fine motor experiences
- Physical challenges
- Self-help skills
- Attention regulation
- Communication skills
- Vocabulary boost
- Story telling skills
- Emergent literacy
Emotional benefits of play are
- Enjoyment, fun, love of life
- Relaxation, release of energy, tension reduction
Educational benefits include
- Providing a meaningful context for children to learn concepts and skills;
- Making learning fun and enjoyable;
- Encouraging children to explore and discover together and on their own;
- Allowing children to extend what they are learning;
- Encouraging children to experiment and take risks;
- Providing opportunities for collaborative learning with adults and peers;
- Allowing for the practice of skills.
- Play alone can teach your child the art of living and survival.
Allow your kids to explore their environment and strengthen their inner skills through constructive play.