This condition occurs twice more in males than in females. It’s a rare disorder and its exact cause is still under research.
This disorder is usually misdiagnosed and is confused with Autism Spectrum difficulties.
- Speech and Language
- Language regression is noticed when children don’t seem to understand what is spoken to them. Audiological tests are normal. The language deterioration is gradual.
- Verbal expressive language deteriorates. Reduced use of complex sentences, use of jargon speech, word finding deficits, dysomnia (child may say ‘crayon’ for a ‘marker’) paraphasias (child may say ‘cut’ for ‘scissors’) and mutism are reported.
- Misarticulaitons, apraxia and voice deviances may also be present.
- Auditory processing deficits are present. Poor auditory memory and difficulty in understanding in noise are characteristic features.
- Strong visual learning skills
- Reading writing might be preserved
- Children affected by Landau kleffner syndrome show behavioural disturbances.
- Hyperactive with poor attention span
- Anxiety disorder
- Negativity, nightmares, tantrums, depression and withdrawal are also reported
- Reported to be poor
- Although interventions can improve the IQ with time
A multi dimensional approach to intervention including a host of professionals is warranted in LKS. Neurologists, Pediatricians,Speech Language Pathologists, Clinical psychologists, Special Educators and Behavioural specialists are all important to facilitate progress of children challenged with this disorder.