Speech Therapy to Change Accent
Today, we will talk about Speech Therapy to change accent. All of us have an accent of our own. This is due to our native language. But when it comes to public speaking, interviews, and presentations. It is crucial to have a good accent. Many times, we come across people who have missed an opportunity. This is simply because of the way they speak or their accent. It is absolutely fine to have an accent. However, sometimes our regional language influences. It can make it difficult for others to understand us. Especially, when it comes to speaking English.
What is an accent?
An accent is a way we say each word or sound. This is specific to one’s country, dialect, and language. The accent depends on our mother tongue.
– Types of English accents:
- There are many types of English accents. This depends on the country.
- The gold standard is the “Queen’s English” mostly Her Majesty speaks.
- “Standard English” is the English accent peeple speak across Britain.
- However, even in Britain and the USA accent vary greatly. This depending on the region.
- There are approximately 160 English accents across the world.
What are the Dialectical variations in India?
In India, most people follow British English. Nevertheless, the influence of regional language is very high in India. For example, many people across the Northern part of India speak Hinglish – Hindi mixed with English. Similarly, the pronunciation of certain English sounds is omitted or substituted. Influenced by native language sounds. Further, down South India. English is influenced by Malayalam, Tamil, Telegu, and Kannada.
What is the taboo associated with English speaking in India?
Indians are multi-lingual. Most of us speak English. In India, all official communication takes place in English.
However, many of us feel that speaking English is not required. Whereas, be it an interview or a presentation, or a meeting. We all communicate in English. English unites us all in India.
Some of us think that people speaking English belong to an upper social status or are showing off. But, in reality, it is not so.
Speaking English is a very crucial skill. Furthermore, anywhere you go around the world you will be able to speak.
Why people change accents?
Many people look forward to changing their accents. This is due to several reasons. Some reasons are:
- People find it difficult to understand
- Required to repeat often
- The negative attitude of others when spoken
- Listeners are unable to get the message said in a meeting
These and many more reasons affect an individual person’s personal and professional life. Effective communication is the key to a successful life. Hence, unwanted accents can greatly affect people.
Who can take Speech Therapy for Accent Modification?
Speech Therapy for accent change is sought by many people. They include:
- People whose native language is not English
- Persons who want to reduce their regional language accent
- The need to develop a new accent for a career role
- Some may take to improve their overall speaking skill
How can Speech Therapy help with an accent?
Many people prefer seeing a Speech Therapist for accent modification. Speech Therapists are trained. They are qualified to check and evaluate your accent. Further, they provide guidance. Speech Therapists will perform tests to assess your speech accent. Then provide therapy sessions to get a desirable accent.
A Speech Therapist is a qualified person. They will help you understand your speech system. Guide you to achieve the best speech clarity.
What are Speech Therapy Activities for Accent change?
Upon getting testing results, your Speech Therapist will frame an accent change program for you. These are tailor-made for your need. Some activities may include:
- Listening and imitating speech
- Ear training
- Speech sound and word drills
- Sentence drills
- Voice recording analysis
- Visual cues
What are the benefits of Accent change?
Here are top benefits from Speech Therapy for Accent change,
- Better career opportunities
- Personality development
- Better communication skills
- Leadership qualities
- Achieving the desired speech accent
If you wish to know more about Speech Therapy, kindly contact us at email@example.com
For more ideas check out our other blogs https://1specialplace.com/news/